by Leith Fadel, Al-Masdar News
The militants from the Islamic Front (Jabhat Al-Islamiyya) bombarded multiple historical sites in the Old City of Aleppo this weekend, destroying residential buildings and the 900 year old Al-Sultaniyyeh Mosque. According to a military source in Aleppo, the Islamic Front has destroyed numerous sites in the Old City, including the outer walls of the Aleppo Citadel.
It is unclear whether or not this has been intentional because there are a multitude of Syrian Arab Army (SAA) checkpoints within the Old City. Earlier this year, Islamic Front operatives destroyed the famous “Carlton Hotel” in the Old City by detonating explosives underneath the historical building; this resulted in its subsequent collapse.
The Al-Sultaniyyeh Mosque was built by Salaheddeen Ayoub’s third son, Zahir Ghazi, during his reign from 1186-1216 A.D.; it was situated between the famous Aleppo Citadel and the Old City’s Souq. The Mosque contained the remains of King Zahir Ghazi Bin Salaheddeen. The Islamic Front has attempted to infiltrate the SAA’s positions near the Al-Sultaniyyeh Mosque; but their attack was repelled on multiple occasions.
According to SANA News: “The Ministry of Religious Endowments condemned the terrorist act, describing it as a retaliation for the achievements made by the Syrian army.” No further details have been revealed at this time.